Our Sponsors

Sparks
48°
Mostly Cloudy
05:4020:10 PDT
Feels like: 44°F
Wind: 8mph W
Humidity: 50%
Pressure: 29.71"Hg
UV index: 3
10h11h12h13h14h
48°F
51°F
53°F
54°F
53°F
SunMonTueWedThu
54/39°F
63/40°F
53/39°F
58/43°F
58/42°F

Apartment fills with smoke from food on the stove too long

Smoking coming out of an upstairs apartment.
1215 Sullivan, Sparks

Sparks Firefighters set up smoke evac fan to clear the smoke out…

Sparks Firefighters say, never leave food unattended especially when you’re about to eat and then leave.

Sparks Firefighters raced to the scene this morning of a report of smoke coming out of the windows of an upstairs apartment at 1215 Sullivan.

Firefighters pulled up to apartment 53A and immediately ran up the stairs and into the smoke filled unit. There, in the kitchen, they found that the tenant had left some food on the stove unattended and by then it was throwing up a lot of smoke.

Firefighters dealt with the pot of burned food and proceeded to ensure that no area around the stove had been affected by the extreme heat. Firemen then set up one of their powerful smoke exhaust fans at the front door which cleared the air inside the apartment very quickly.

Leaving food unsupervised on a stove is one of the more common causes of home and apartment fires. Obviously they’re quite preventable. Just remember when you put something on the stove make sure you don’t forget about it. One way to remember is to put a large rubber band around your wrist and double wrap it. That way you’re not about to forget what is going on in the kitchen.

Our Sponsors